Monday, March 16, 2009

first post - finally here

soo i'm in germany and all settled in! heres a lowdown about my first two days (without apostrphes...they are positioned differently on the german keyboard so it takes too long to type them.)

the flight went fine, very uneventful. another Iowa student left Des Moines with me, so i had someone to talk to on the plane the entire time...and no, i didnt accept any strange packages from a stranger at the airport.

my first day i got my things settled into my dormroom. i also got assigned two 'dortmund doubles.' they are uni dortmund students that help show me around the city, and their names are stefan and stephanie. they took me to town and we went out to eat an an 'american' restaurant, and i brushed up on my deutsch a little. then the rest of the evening, i just napped and then drank tea with two of the other exchange students.

today i had my first day of language class, and i was placed in the intermediate language class, which is the class i was hoping for. we have students from ALL over in our program...from Korea, Ireland, Mexico, Latvia, France...

today was extremely fun! after language class, i made some lunch and then stephanie picked me up so we could run some errands. i got an umbrella and some school supplies, and then we went to Ikea so i could buy some 'wohnheim' stuff. the sheets i was given by the Hausmeister were extremely ugly (some sort of red tiger/desert theme?), so i got some new sheets for my bed, and and a small lamp.

after Ikea, we went to a flower shop. i was going to buy a small pot of flowers, but instead fell in love with a small palm tree! it was difficult yet comical getting the 7 foot plant into stephanies small european volkswagen, but we got it home safely (and with palm leaves dangling in near our faces). it looks awesome in my formerly stark and depressing room.

now i am just at the library using the internet. i do not have internet access or a cell phone yet, and i think i will be getting both later this week. i will post pictures when i can. i miss all of you very much!

ohhhh and my address is:

97 Ostenbergstr.
Rm. 323
Dortmund, Deutschland 44227

and i <3 mail! i will send everyone something small when i figure out how to get stamps and find where the post office is

No comments:

Post a Comment